Friday, October 15, 2010

Water water every where

Dripping faucetImage via Wikipedia
At our house, we drink a lot of water. We drink it filtered from the refrigerator dispenser. You press a cup up against a lever that releases chilled and filtered drinking water into your glass.  It's lovely. We wanted more.

We change the filter in our refrigerator on schedule, but having the option at the tap appeals to us.  Ms. SF Daddy installed a PUR water filter a the kitchen sink a few weeks ago. After a couple of weeks, the thing started to completely fall apart.

It started out slow. Instead of a clean circular jet of water pouring down into sink we had a spray shooting down like the spokes of a twisted umbrella.

"We'll just have to take this back and get a new one."

We lived with it for about a week before the filter part litterally exploded on me. Water shot up at my face and  hit the ceiling.

I do not claim to be useful with a wrench by any means, but soon after that--I had to let my kids get sprayed a couple of times--I took the whole thing off and found a big gaping whole in the metal mesh that aerates the water. It looked like it was rusting.

I found the original hardware for the faucet and it's all back to normal.

In the United States, "normal" means I could drink the water straight from the tap. Sure, it's full of fluoride and chlorine, but it's quite drinkable. I'm told the chlorine keeps it from giving you gunk from the pipes. See: http://environment.about.com/od/earthtalkcolumns/a/chlorine.htm
The fluoride (See: http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/feeding/fluoride_water.html) is good for you teeth.

(Insert debate about these chemicals here if we want to start missing the point.)

Image via Wikipedia
Excellent. Isn't that great? Even though I have a few stumbles with a few pieces of plastic we picked up at The Home Depot, we don't have it that bad. I don't have to walk miles with a  vessel of contaminated water everyday to ration out to my cooking, cleaning and drinking.

This post was inspired by Blog Action Day. I hope you get a chance to read more about the state of Water in the world.  http://blogactionday.change.org/

Do you enjoy clean, drinkable water from your tap?


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Through a working filter, yes! Sorry your experience wasn't so good. Chuckled that you let your kids get sprayed before taking it off, though.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts