Saturday, April 06, 2013

F Ferments and Krauts

Kraut This
"It's a full moon, have to start the kraut."

Those really aren't words I thought I'd ever hear. I didn't see them coming. I didn't really think about sauerkraut very much. I knew that I liked it, but that was about it.

Paying attention to the moon apparently helps fermentation  As the moon is "born" or grows, you plant or start things that grow. Otherwise, it's the opposite. Things just don't grow as well.

This kraut is a mix of purple and green cabbage. Together it ends up being pink. The green bit at the top is just a leaf to keep actual cabbage below the water. It's not mold.

It's really tasty on its own or on a salad. We throw just about anything in a salad these days. Hold the sauce though, with enough wet things, you don't really need it.

Below we have some samples of the other ferments. These are what the smaller batches of mead look like.

If you think you're interested in fermentation, there's a way lot of information out there, but we started a small Google+ community for our Juicy People friends to share with. Join in and share with us. We had a link to a few sites and other books. The ladies met up with, Sandor Katz, one of the authors of these books a while back and he actually inspired our current adventures in krauting.

Ferment This

4 comments:

  1. That kraut sure looks good ! My body craves the stuff . I will have to check out your community to see about making my own .

    My AtoZ challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fellow homeschooler, who joined this A-Z thing at the last minute ... oh why, oh why, she asks herself each day when trying to work out what to write about! I thought I'd pop over and say Hi. I love that your homeschooling adventure postings seem to be a little out of the norm of the regular homeschooling stuff you see everywhere. Well done homeschooling Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely you missed the vinegar cabinet! Which would not make for a great picture but if you could record the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about the moon thing, though I'm familiar with biodynamic farming. It would kind of make sense.

    Did you try adding garlic? The last time we did sauerkraut, we used red cabbages and garlic cloves and they turned the loveliest color and tasted divine.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts