Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Indie Crafters' Experiences

(Water balloon +  a cold night =  Priceless.)

This photo of ice was taken on a quiet morning after an event of lunar celebrations and other indie, crafty-like experiences called "Dreamtide" in Ashville, NC. We met up with travelling puppeteers and acrobats who flew Red1 and Red2 into the air with their feet and taught them how to soar  with aerial silks. The girls love making functional items that they can trade with. Red2 walked around I.C.E. (see below) and traded out quite a bit of loot with the other vendors. The vendors prefer actual money, but Mrs. SF Daddy had some really cute "Sneaters" to trade that year.


I love this video showing us, I.C.E. There's a lot of plaid in it, but don't hold that against us.

I-C-E, the Indie Craft Experience, based in Atlanta is a lot of things. Our friend Shannon is part of the team that created and curates this experience for us the crafty consumer AND us as the crafty creators. I couldn't explain it better than they do, so here's a quote from their own site:
With a vision to provide indie crafters an opportunity to sell and promote their creations in Atlanta, ICE quickly caught on as a favorite event for participants and attendees alike. ICE is a grass-roots effort, organized by two Atlanta crafters – Christy Petterson of a bardis and Shannon Mulkey of Patina. Inspired by indie craft markets in Chicago and Austin, the Indie Craft Experience was founded in order to provide Atlanta with a major indie craft event. In addition to craft markets, ICE also organizes Wedding Day HooraySalvage and an annual Pop-Up Shop during the holiday season.



This is a long video, but at the ICE site, there's a long list of events they do all year round. I have quite a few friends who needed ICE to "pop-up" for them. I hope my crafty-pals finally take the hint and leap in, sign up, and get a table to sell their neat items.

Mrs. SF Daddy is totally a maker. She's a frequent participant of I.C.E., currently has some items at Naked Art in Birmingham, AL, and talks about her stuff, which for some reason we named SlothCraft, on her blog.

Lot's of links today, but, hey, you wanted to know all this stuff, right?

What do you do with your glue gun?


Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the picture with the frozen water balloons! Too bad it doesn't freeze where I am in LA, but I suppose I could always put them in the freezer : )

    With hot glue guns my kids and I make creations from my dresser full of craft supplies--we really do have a craft dresser!
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer! I wish it got colder in Houston. I think I know someone who'd be a fan of freezing a water balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very cool, I should do more local craft shopping. Pretty much everything I buy is manufactured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't throw the frozen water balloons at people you like!

    Support local everything, crafts, businesses, farms, you name it, when ever you can. You meet your neighbors, they say thank you and they actually mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool pic. I love my glue gun. I use it for everything. The Hubs tries to compete with me. He swears super glue is better. But there's just something about the hot, sticky, gluiness as it globs from my glue gun that makes me happy. =)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts