Saturday, April 20, 2013

Reptiles and Pets I Didn't have as a Kid

Feed This
Have I mentioned that the ladies in the house travel a bit? That wouldn't tend to be much of a problem, but when they are starting seeds, fermenting elaborate beverages, or bringing home pets to take care of, suddenly I become the caretaker of all of their 'delights.'

The turtle is one that's truly simple to care for. He's got quite a little personality, so much more interesting to watch than the fish. He perks up as I approach the tank because he knows it's time to eat.

He belongs to Red2, our nine-year-old. She's taking great care of him.

I'm happy to say that this is the only reptile we have, but we have 2 fish tanks (one each for Red1 and Red2), 2 cats (you've met before, Lucy and Ethel), occasionally a bug in a container to inspect and eventually bees.

Growing up I only had gerbils and then hamsters. If we look at my situation today a little differently, this is my chance to have all the pets I wanted as a kid, but wasn't allowed to have. The bonus is that the girls usually have to do all the work to keep the cages clean and fresh. {Score!} They also have figure out how to feed them and keep them happy. With one of the fish tanks, that meant having to evict a goldfish who just wouldn't stop eating everyone else.

Kid's, I think I just let out a treasured parental secret. Do you think your parents are letting you have a dog because they never had one? You might be right.

1 comment:

  1. oops, i stand corrected. Mr. Turtle is a SHE. And her name is Dribble. I just didn't think girls dribbled... Thanks Red2. She's named after a turtle in an audio book in which a little brother ate his big brother's turtle. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts